Organic has turned out to be one of the most used and also misunderstood tags of late, with most of us confusing organic with locally sourced produces. Well, organic isn’t just naturally farmed products but also the best of what nature has to provide us. Devoid of pesticides, chemical fertilizers and other harmful substances, organic products are our gateway to a healthier lifestyle. Organic honey is one such bounty of nature that is bound to provide you with health benefits that leave you refreshed at the end of your day. Seen as a replacement for hard sugars in our foods, organic honey carries a plethora of health benefits previously unknown to the most of us.
What is organic honey?
Natural honey has been used in traditional practices especially in Indian Ayurveda for generations because of its beneficial properties and nutritional value. Consumed regularly in a moderate dose of 50-80 grams, organic honey has a host of health benefits and provides essential nutritional supplements.
Six Benefits of Organic Honey
- Rich source of energy: Organic honey is a rich source of carbohydrates; our muscles utilize carbohydrates as fuel, so honey can provide a quick energy boost during workouts or when you are feeling low on energy. Organic honey provides pure carbohydrates, and no fat, thus decreasing any excess weight gain worries.
- Is anti-microbial in nature: Organic honey has long been used with other natural herbs among others to help boost immunity in traditional practices. When consumed in pure state infused with other beneficial herbs, organic honey has been shown to boost immune functions on regular consumption in moderate doses.
- As a natural sweetener for food and drinks: It helps us avoid hard sugars or chemical sweeteners that contain contaminants and prove difficult by our bodies to process. High consumption of hard sugars and processed sugars has become quite a harmful detriment to our health over time. Organic honey can provide a natural and safe way to keep your sweet tooth happy without bringing harm to your health.
- Used to boost energy: Honey has been used historically to treat stress, fatigue, insomnia, weakness, and other such issues. Regular consumption of organic honey can provide a reliable source of energy and protect against fatigue that stops you from functioning to the best of your abilities.
- For immunity related problems: Studies have proven organic honey can help reduce the severity of coughing and discomfort in children suffering from respiratory infections. Historically honey has been used to ease discomforts of sore throat, cold and cough.
- For Weight Loss: Combining lime or lemon juice with honey has been proven to be an effective tool for weight loss. To stay healthy, add honey in milk, breakfast cereals, herbal tea or pour it on your salad and let it to do the wonders to your body.
Varieties of organic honey available in the market
There are several varieties of organic honey available based on their source, method of farming etc. Some of the more readily available are:
- Organic Raw Honey
- Organic Infused Honey- Litchi, Mustard, Jamun, Acacia, Sweet Clover, Eucalyptus
- Organic Flora Honey
- Organic Pure Honey
- Organic Forest Honey
Some of our favourite brands include Under the Mango Tree, Royal Bee, Moshe’s & Manuka Honey. These are slightly less famous than the conventional brands, but far better in taste and quality.
Lastly, remember it is important to consume honey in moderate quantities. It is a great substitute for artificial sweeteners and sugar, but excess of anything does not benefit the body.
So stay healthy, stay blushed! XOXO